What certification can do for your business:
Mah jongg instructors should have a deep understanding of the National Mah Jongg League rules and the skills to teach adults. To be successful in business, individuals are well served by having an entrepreneurial spirit, which means that they are highly motivated by a continuous thirst for knowledge. Earning a certification is one way to leverage those qualities. With the AMJIA Instructor Certification, you can:
- Establish professional credibility using credentials that assure the community that you are a subject matter expert.
- Increase earning potential by leveraging credentials that justify higher rates for services.
- Expand knowledge and skills learned through webinars to demonstrate a commitment to excellence and continued learning.
- Troubleshoot issues, brainstorm ideas, and stay on top of trends by networking with like-minded instructors.
The certification process does not include educational components because instructors likely have the knowledge and skills necessary for certification. The purpose of the Instructor Certification Exam is to assess individuals against predetermined standards of knowledge and competencies in American mah jongg based on National Mah Jongg League rules.
Professional certification is a voluntary process where candidates must demonstrate they have met specific criteria before they are eligible to take the online certification exam. Individuals who take the exam and meet or exceed the passing score are awarded with certification and become members of the association. When an instructor is AMJIA Certified, they earn the privilege of using the "AMJIA Certified" title. Guidelines will be provided during the onboarding process explaining how to use the title and the AMJIA logo.
Not sure if certification is right for you?
We understand that certification is NOT for everyone, and that's ok. Truth be told, we’d prefer to help you figure out if it’s not right for you BEFORE you start the process rather than waste your time. So, let’s cut to the chase...
Who certification is for:
Mah jongg instructors who have an existing business and want to better leverage their time and knowledge, while helping people learn how to play and develop their skills.
People who haven’t built a mah jongg lesson business before but who are looking for help getting started - and are willing to put time and energy into turning their hobby into a business.
Action takers who aren’t just going to watch training videos and never implement. We provide the training and resources, but you will need to do the work!
Who certification is not for:
People looking for a get rich quick solution. If you think a mah jongg lesson business is going to make you rich, we're not the right choice for you!
Idea chasers who are constantly searching for the next idea and never getting anything off the ground. Building a business in a hobby market takes commitment, focus, and passion.
People expecting guaranteed results. We know what we teach works because we’re doing it ourselves. However, we can’t guarantee specific results from following our advice.
The services we offer have been designed to encourage, inspire, and support instructors who want to build a sustainable and scalable mah jongg lesson business whether it's not-for-profit or for-profit. You must understand that membership is not only about AMJIA serving you, but you must be willing to put in hard work to achieve your desired results. If this resonates for you, consider obtaining certification.
Preparing for the certification process will take time and effort. Each instructor must:
- Read and agree to the AMJIA Code of Conduct and Ethics, AMJIA Membership Agreement, and the AMJIA Certification Title and Logo Usage Guidelines.
- Read the current edition of Mah Jongg Made Easy (MJME) published by the National Mah Jongg League and study AMJIA infographics on NMJL rules.
- Provide an invoice with proof of payment (i.e., paystub) or an affidavit.
- Provide three lesson evaluations from students.
- Read and sign the AMJIA Certification and Confidentiality Agreement.
- Take and pass the exam.
To be a successful online learner, you will need access to a personal computer with the following:
|Software Requirements||Hardware Requirements|
At a minimum, students should have basic computer literacy skills including:
- Using an internet web browser (i.e., Chrome, Firefox, Safari) and resetting basic web browser settings (clearing cache/history, cookies, etc.);
- Downloading files onto your local computer and uploading completed assignments.
- Browsing for files to attach and upload
- Using a mouse that includes scrolling, left-clicking, and right-clicking.
- Opening, minimizing, and closing computer applications.
- Creating and using word processor documents (i.e., Word, Pages), spreadsheets (i.e., Excel, Numbers), and presentations (i.e., PowerPoint, Keynote).
- Selecting, copying, and pasting content from one source to another.
- Creating and responding to online forum posts.
- Sending and receiving email
- Participating in weekly Zoom study groups.
If you are willing to do the work and you are ready to take your business to the next level, continue reading!
See how you might do on the Instructor Certification Exam!
This sneak peek has questions similar to those in the AMJIA Instructor Certification exam. The passing score is 70%.
AMJIA Certification Process and Exam $297
Module 1 Introduction and Overview
If the preparation work described below is done in advance, the estimated time to complete modules 1-5 would take approximately 1 hour, and Module 6 should take approximately 1 hour.
Module 2 American Mah Jongg Rules
Study the current version of "Mah Jongg Made Easy" published by the National Mah Jongg League to refresh your memory of the rules and study AMJIA infographics on NMJL rules.
Module 3 American Mah Jongg Lesson Business
Obtain a paid invoice from a recent lesson with proof of payment. Ensure that you have an electronic copy ready because you will be prompted to upload it to complete an assignment. If you do not have a paid invoice, you may upload an affidavit that must be completed with a notary.
The reason why this is important is that AMJIA is not a franchisor so a prospective member must demonstrate that they have a business established prior to joining.
Module 4 Student Satisfaction
Email a provided survey link to several students. We will forward the results to you electronically. Ensure that you have the electronic copies ready because you will be prompted to upload them to complete an assignment.
Module 5 Code of Conduct and Ethics
Preview AMJIA's Code of Conduct and Ethics. You will be prompted to download and sign it to indicate that you agree to follow the guidelines therein. Also, preview the AMJIA Membership Agreement and the AMJIA Certification Title and Logo Usage Guidelines. We will send this document to you via email for digital signature as part of the onboarding process after you pass the certification exam.
Module 6 Certification Exam
Sign the AMJIA Certification and Confidentiality Agreement. When that has been uploaded, you will be able to take the exam.
Rulings Not Found in Mah Jongg Made Easy!
We created a quick-reference infographic with rulings published by the NMJL in annual bulletins and letters to players. Download your copy today!
We are offering you a 30 day 100% money-back guarantee with your purchase of the Instructor Certification Process and Exam today.
No kidding... go through the process and take the exam. If you pass, and you likely will, check out the membership benefits: peruse the resources, use the tools, and put in some work. If you don’t love the results in the first 30 days of your purchase, send us an email and we’ll refund your money. No questions asked and no hard feelings.
If the Instructor Certification and association benefits don’t work for you, we'd much prefer that you take your money and invest it where you will be happy.
Visibility. Credibility. Support.
Get started by downloading the "Share Your Passion" workbook, then schedule a discovery call with us!